It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Friday, March 8, 2013

Inspired

Shemot, chapter 35, verses 30-35 has a point that is easy to overlook. G-d gives Betzalel and Ahalihav wisdom and knowledge in a very specific area. They are artists. They can work wonders with gold, silver, copper, wood, and any type of fancy needlework. 

There are many artists in the world. Art is a slippery word to define. My oldest child is a gifted wordsmith. Is she an artist? She also draws beautifully. Is that a better definition of an artist than the writing? My youngest is a gifted musician. Is she an artist? She also has a great eye for designs of all kinds and is a super-duper organizer, as well as a baby whisperer. Are these talents considered 'art'? And what about my cooking? I can take a random bunch of leftover ingredients and create a dish that receives moans of pleasure upon consumption. Am I an artist? What about my friend Gail who can turn any craft project into a creative masterpiece? Or my brother who takes pictures everywhere he goes that are gems of beauty?

Each and every one of us has gifts that others can only dream about. Every one has something they can do better than others. And how many of us acknowledge the source of our talent? How many of us admit that G-d has filled us with "Ruach Elokim" (the spirit of G-d) and that's how we came to be so good at what we do?

I remember late night talks with my daughters. They were sort of blase about their talents and worried about the impact (or lack thereof) their lives will have on the world. I told both of them the same thing: "G-d has given you a rare gift. He must have a special plan for the use of that gift for the greater good. Your job is to use that talent to the best of your abilities for a worthy cause. And to be grateful for it."

If one has a unique talent, one must use it for good causes. Otherwise, it's like throwing the gift back in G-d's face. You have a gift that was given to you in order to use it. So use it!

Here is how I used my gift recently. You know how you buy some produce and then don't get around to using it and suddenly it's "use it or lose it"? So I got some plum shaped tomatoes (I believe they are called "Roma") which were sort of pinkish but what can you expect in the middle of winter? Then my precious sister in law brought me some vine ripened tomatoes and I left the other ones out too long. And the eggplants I bought were getting older by the minute. Not to mention the panko (fresh breadcrumbs) I made from leftover challah that kept whispering "It's almost Pesach" every time I opened the freezer. Time for some emergency cooking.

Baked tomatoes and eggplants


8 Roma tomatoes.
2 medium eggplants
2 cups Panko (fresh breadcrumbs. You can make your own by processing leftover challah until it's all crumbs)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3 Tbs cup Italian seasoning (a mixture of Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary will work well)
2 Tbs granulated garlic
Olive oil as needed.


Mix together breadcrumbs, herbs, cheese and garlic. Set aside.

Cut Roma tomatoes in half (length-wise) and arrange on an oiled baking sheet, cut side up.

Slice eggplants into 1/2 inch thick slices. Salt and let stand for 30 minutes in colander. Rinse and pat dry. Arrange in one layer in another baking sheet (also oiled).

Brush eggplants and tomatoes generously with olive oil (just the sides facing up). Put about 1/2 tablespoonful of the breadcrumb mixture on each tomato half and each eggplant slice.

Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes for the tomatoes and 20 minutes for the eggplants. The tomatoes should be soft when poked with a fork. Take the tomatoes out and transfer to a plate.

Take the eggplants out and carefully flip them over. Do the oil and breadcrumb thing on the other side of the eggplants and return to the oven for another 20 minutes. 

To serve, put on tomato half on top of each eggplant slice. 

Serves 4

Note: you may have more eggplant slices than tomatoes. Mostly because the eggplants may produce more slices than tomato halves. No worries, mate, they make an excellent addition to any sandwich. even cold.




So then, Is this some sort of art? Because I tell you: it must have been G-d inspired. It was so much better than I expected that I am tempted to call it 'divine'. Thank you G-d for putting it into my mind. Now please add some diet tips....









No comments:

Post a Comment