It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Thursday, July 4, 2013

Spooky

Sometimes I am totally spooked by how apt the weekly parasha is to what is happening in my life right now.

This week, the Israelites are camped by the river Jordan, on the non-Kna'an side, opposite Yericho. Now, Yericho is on the way to the Dead Sea, if you're trying to get there from the middle of the country.  We did. This week. And let me tell you, it was hot. Phew, was it hot. Even the water in the water trough (I have no other name to describe it) were hot. Almost tea temperature. My oldest child said "You can take the money from my college fund, just get me some cold water". She was right, too, the water cost a lot. Oh well, as hubby said "When we spend money here, it's the most direct American Aid possible."

Another thing in the parasha is a description of how many Midyanites the Israelites killed. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to self defense or even pure revenge, and this one was divinely ordered. But when I read it, I feel extremely uncomfortable. Wow, these are a lot of dead people. The Israelites were led in this slaughter by the zealot Pinchas. And the priest Elazar. Before we dipped into the sea of salt, we climbed a mountain in the desert where another zealot, named Elazar, was responsible for another slaughter. The story of Massada is awe inspiring and the place is breath taking, but, for better or worse, it is a story about zealotry and slaughter. 

I am proud of Massada and appreciate the inspiration its story provided for the spirit of Israel, especially the Israeli army. We spent the night in a camp at the foot of the mountain and there was a group of soldiers there. Hubby and I chatted with them and let me tell you, they were so young, so sweet, so amazing, that I had tears in my eyes.


It is thousands of years after the Israelites killed all those Midyanites. It is thousands of years after Elazar Ben Yair ordered his people to kill their loved ones and themselves in order to rob the Romans of their victory. It is thousands of years and we are still fighting for our safety. Our wonderful young men and women are still required to kill and be killed. And there are still zealots (on both sides) leading everyone into battle. Oy, Master of the Universe, will there ever be peace for your people?


So I came up with the following "sort of comfort food". Maybe if everyone will eat more carbs, people will be relaxed and not feel the need to fight so much. Hey, we've tried everything else, what have we got to lose?



Peace Potatoes


1/4-1/3 cup olive oil (I know, I know, but we're aiming for comfort here, right?)
2 large onions, thinly sliced
10-12 medium potatoes (I don't know, maybe 2-3 pounds? I just kept peeling), peeled and diced (about 1/2-3/4  inch cubes)
1 tsp each: cumin seeds, coriander seeds and turmeric.
1/2 tsp curry powder (I used something called madras curry, whatever that is. You can use regular, try to find the madras thingie or just add another spice of your choice, instead)
salt to taste


In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup oil over medium high heat until starting to brown.
Add spices (except salt) and cook another minute or so, until spices smell really nice.
Add potatoes and stir well. You may need to add more oil if the skillet seems "dry". The more oil you add, the better this will taste and you can always tell yourself that olive oil is good for you.
Cook for 4-5 minutes over medium high heat, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the skillet really well.
Lower the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring and scraping occasionally, until potatoes are soft. 
Add salt to taste.

I have no idea how many this serves as I finished the leftovers by myself. But it fed six people and I had about a third left over. So say 8 servings?



And please add a prayer for peace to whatever form of prayer you use. On second thought, maybe a prayer for peace is not specific enough. Let's pray for sanity.







No comments:

Post a Comment