It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Thursday, January 2, 2014

Personalized education

I love Pesach. And I love reading the Hagddah. And I like the idea of the four sons. Being a teacher, I find it very appealing that Judaism acknowledges the need to teach according to the student and not have a 'one size fits all' education. So what does the Hagaddah say? When your wicked son scoffs "What is this work for you?" you're supposed to answer "Thus did G-d do for me when I left Egypt" so as to emphasize that if he separates himself from everyone else, he will not be counted among the saved. Interesting approach. 

Yet, this week, when you read the parasha, you will find out that the famous "Mah ha'avoda ha'zot lachem" is a question G-d anticipates will be asked and the answer He tells you to use is totally different than the one the Hagaddah suggests (Exodus 12:26-27.) And the question of the simple son ("What's that?") is presented as being asked about something that is not a part of the holiday itself. (Exodus 13:11-15.)

Now, I have no problem with either the Torah text or the Hagaddah text. I would just like to point out that apparently the sages who designed the Hagaddah used a bit of creative re-arrangement of the Torah text and we might want to remember that in a few months when we read the Hagaddah. It will expand and enhance our Seder, I'm sure. When you get to the four sons, open the chumash and read the original text. Debate that text directly from the source and then compare it to the Talmudic discussion in the Hagaddah and see where it leads. After all, the more we discuss the exodus, the better, no?

For a Jewish cook, it is second nature to re-arrange ingredients to better suit the kashrut laws. When you read a recipe, you immediately think about how you can make it kosher, or parve, or Pesach-compatible. Sometimes, though, you get lucky and the recipe does it for you. As you know, my other favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. When I first set out to celebrate it at home, I did extended research at the library (which shows you how long ago that was, since I did not use the internet.) I've put together a menu that, with small changes, I still use today. One of the dishes that appeared in practically every book, article or newspaper I read for the project was 'pearl onions in cream sauce'. Seeing that not only I couldn't use cream sauce with the turkey, I did not even know what pearl onions were, I was sure I had to give it up. That was very sad because it seemed to be a very common dish for the holiday.

A few (very few) years after my first Thanksgiving (no, kids, it was not the first Thanksgiving,) I read yet another article which offered a recipe for pearl onions that had no dairy in it at all. It was not a Jewish magazine or even a recipe for those keeping kosher. It wasn't even about 'lactose-intolerance'. It was simply offered as a "lighter" version of the original. I pounced on it. And I've been serving it on Thanksgiving every year since (and that's a lot of pearl onions.)

Since not having cream sauce with the turkey is not a unique experience in my house, I never had to explain why I make the "lighter" version. I won't bore you with the many (many, many) times I did have to explain why my kids must clean their rooms for Pesach even though "Dirt is not chametz, Imma." I finally aced that argument the year I found a fossilized half bagel in my older daughter's closet.


Pearl onions that are kosher, parve and fit for Pesach, too


1 bag of  frozen pearl onions (16 oz), thawed in a colander, rinsed and drained well.
3 Tbs pine nuts, lightly toasted (you can substitute slivered almonds but it won't be as good)
2 Tbs margarine
3 Tbs dark brown sugar
3 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
 Pinch of black pepper
1 Tbs finely chopped fresh parsley




Melt margarine in a wide saute pan over medium heat.
Add onions, increase heat to high. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions turn brown (5-7 minutes)
Lower heat to medium. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.Stir well.
Cook, stirring constantly for another 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Serve warm.

4-6 servings.





I am positive that, had our ancestors had these with their matzah and BBQ-ed lamb, they would have held off their complaints for a little while longer. Or maybe not. These people were born to complain and they took their destiny very seriously. Still do.







2 comments:

  1. why wait to compare Torah and Haggadah until Pesach? I am sure to forget. I think we should do it this week at the Shabbos table, if I can remember that long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo. Sacchetti personalizzati

    ReplyDelete