It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Friday, November 2, 2012

Not good enough

I like goat cheese. It's very earthy and creamy and delicious. I like inventing recipes that contain goat cheese. But my friend the goat-cheese-hater always asks "Can I use feta instead?"

Why do people argue with perfection? Because what is perfect for one is not so great for another. Because they can see flaws in my plan that they think I missed somehow.

Is that what happened in S'dom? Did G-d "miss" something? Because when He told Avraham about his plans for S'dom, Avraham immediately pointed out what seems like an obvious flaw: "How can you kill the innocent along with the wicked?"

Then there's the famous bargaining ("Can I use feta instead?"), where our wily ancestor haggles with the Almighty over a bunch of people he doesn't know and wouldn't want to know if he knew them. And G-d indulges him. Fine, says G-d, I'll spare the whole city for the sake of a few good people.

G-d, being G-d, knows darn well that there aren't any good people in S'dom. Why doesn't He just say to Avraham: "Listen, pal, you're wasting your breath. This city is one wicked cesspool. There are no good people there. Fo'getaboutit." Why bargain over a lost cause? 

Because G-d is a teacher. With great patience He lets Avraham find the truth for himself. When you learn something by yourself, you'll know it better and remember it longer than if someone simply told you about it. Like a patient parent, G-d lets Avraham think he has a say in the matter. Not to make fun of him or to "teach him a lesson" but to let him find out for himself that there is always a reason behind G-d's decisions. Even if, from a human point of view, they seem flawed.

And, one day, my friend will find out that I am right (which,of course, I always am) and that goat cheese is amazing. Until that happy day, I will indulge her and create dishes with feta so she thinks she has a say in spotting my (imaginary) flaws.



Baby volcanoes of leeks and feta

3 leeks, white part only, sliced very thinly
1 package (8-10 pieces) scallions, white and green parts both, sliced very thinly
3 Tbs butter
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
12 puff pastry shells, baked according to package instructions



Saute leeks and scallions in butter over medium-low heat for about an hour (yes, this is no typo.) Stir frequently. Vegetables will get very soft but there will be very little browning.

Let mixture cool slightly (or even overnight and proceed the next day), then add feta, parsley, and black pepper.

Using one heaping tablespoon per shell, fill prepared puff pastry shells.

Heat oven to 400F. Turn it off and place shells (arranged on a baking sheet) in it for 10 minutes.

Makes 12 appetizers


Yes, feta because of the salt around S'dom and volcano shaped containers for the volcanoes that were probably part of the destruction of S'dom. And good riddance, too. What a horrible place.







2 comments:

  1. Can I use goat cheese instead of feta?
    Can I use onions instead of leeks?
    Can I bake at 375 instead of 400?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day, remind me to tell you about what happened when I gave my MIL a recipe for chocolate cake....

    ReplyDelete