It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Friday, November 30, 2012

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

 When one turns 50, one should: A. Know better and B. Be allowed to do whatever the heck one wants to (at least on that day.) Unfortunately, these two things are usually opposites of each other. Example: I know very well (A.) that if I tell my real opinion about Ya'akov, the only thing that will save me from being crucified is the fact that Jews just don't do crucifixions. Yet today is my 50th birthday and I feel I should be allowed (B.) to say what I want. After all, the whole point of getting older is to get to the blessed place where you can speak your mind and ignore the horrified gasps around you.

Ya'akov is a patriarch. Yes. And I'm sure the sages have plenty of praise for him. But as a human being he pretty much sucks. As a son, he tricks his father. As a brother, he cheats his sibling. As a husband he isn't nice even to Rachel (though I will give him that: he did consult his wives before a major move). And don't get me started on his fathering style. You'd think a man with 12 sons will eventually learn how stupid it is to show favoritism. Not to mention learning to better control your kids' actions. And never mind his treatment of Dina. Or lack thereof.

No. I have no nice things to say about Ya'akov. And this being my birthday - I won't bother.

And I don't see why I have to cook today. Shouldn't I be pampered beyond reason?

But in this vale of tears, there is no justice to be found anywhere. Sigh. I am old and frail and nobody cares. All that's left are the memories. Of this awesome cake my mom used to make before we learned to fear calories, sugar and fat. When life was simple. Double sigh.

Whipped cream and meringue cake

This cake is made up of three layers (each more fattening than the other):

Layer one - the cake base

2 egg yolks
7 Tbs margarine (100 grams)
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour

Mix well into a smooth dough.
Press into a 9x13 greased baking pan.
Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes or until golden.
Cool completely.
(I know, no sugar. Just keep reading...)

Layer two - whipped cream

Whip 2 cups heavy cream with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp Israeli powdered coffee (you may be able to use an American brand but the Israeli Nescafe is milder and blends much better into the cream).
The goal is to make a firm enough whipped cream that you can easily spread over the base of the cake. Just don't over beat as you may end up with butter...


Layer three - meringue

Beat 4 egg whites until foamy.
Add one and a quarter cups sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Grease a shallow baking pan (9x13 or larger), line with baking paper and then grease the paper itself.
Spread the meringue evenly on the paper. It doesn't have to be super smooth.
Bake at 300F for one hour.
Immediately peel paper away from meringue (carefully). It's OK if it breaks a bit.
Cool completely.


Assembly:

Spread the whipped cream evenly over the cake base.
Carefully lay the meringue over the cream layer. The meringue will likely fall apart in transfer. It's OK. You'll break it anyway when trying to slice the cake. Just try not to break it so much that it's all crumbs.

Optional - drizzle with chocolate syrup and/or sprinkle chopped walnuts over the cake. Because, you know, it's not fattening enough as it is.

Chill well. Slice carefully (the meringue sort of crumbles but the rest of the cake, if chilled well, will hold its shape enough to serve.) We found it best to "cut" the cake with a large spoon.



And make sure you have 911 on speed dial. This cake should come with a General Surgeon's warning.

There are advantages and disadvantages to growing old. One can no longer carelessly eat stuff like this. On the other hand, one may carelessly express oneself and tell the protesters to go fly a kite. Ya'akov wasn't a nice person. So there.














3 comments:

  1. getting older does not entitle you to say what ever you want.
    getting old should mean that you are smart enough to be kind and thoughtful and learn to control yourself.
    happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You clearly have never met my grandparents. I was looking forward my whole life to finally be able to be a cantankerous old fool. Do NOT rob me of my senior citizen rights.
      Besides, the idea that age brings wisdom is a myth. Age brings the "This too, shall pass" perspective, which allows you to keep quiet in situations where younger people will rant and rage. Now, silence does make you look wiser because there's less of a chance to say the wrong thing if you don't say anything.
      That being said, you have just proven that I AM wiser now. I knew criticizing a Mishna-approved biblical figure (and male, to boot) will result in being called names. And I was right. You assume that because I criticize Ya'akov, I am not smart, kind, thoughtful or have self control. While it is true that I am a horrid person, the criticism of Ya'akov is not the proof of it.

      Delete
  2. Yalla Yalla... Bashinayeem!!! Its been a while I didn't chant this, and being 51.5 (I think) allows me to do it once more. :-)

    ReplyDelete