It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Friday, January 11, 2013

Winners don't quit

I used to make chicken with olives. My family hated it. They like chicken. They like olives. They do not like chicken with olives. But I do. The idea appeals to me for some reason and I kept trying various versions. My husband suggested I put less olives in. Did not work. My younger daughter suggested I use green olives instead of black. No good, either. My oldest said to ditch the chicken. Well... she's a vegetarian.

Why did I keep trying? I take failure very much to heart. I feel terrible when I cook something and no one likes it. So why go on? 

When G-d kept sending plagues and Pharaoh kept refusing to let the people go, Moshe must have lost heart a time or two (or nine.) Granted he had G-d's assurance that it's all part of the plan, but meanwhile he was the one who had to deal with the people's reactions when things kept going from bad to very bad to terrible. He was the one making all the promises and having to explain why it wasn't working. How did he persevere?

Well, that's why he was Moshe. G-d knows what He's doing. And He chose Moshe because He knew he will persevere. Just as He chose the Jews because He knew we will persevere. Moshe believed that G-d will come through and make good on His promises. He trusted G-d's word that everything will work out at the end. So he kept trying. Even when the people complained, screamed, cried and threatened him and his brother. He kept trying even when it felt stupid to go on. He kept trying even when it looked like he was failing.


And so (in a small way) did I.  And we both succeeded.


Chicken with olives


1 chicken, cut into servings (or use 4 leg quarters)
1 Lb green olives, pitted
3/4 cup diced tomatoes, with juice 
1/2 pickled lemon, sliced (if you follow this blog and use the advice in it, you should have a jar in the fridge. If not, check my post "Seeing red" from 11/16/12.)
2 Tbs pickling juice of pickled lemons
8 garlic cloves, halved
1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper (I know, I also thought it was too much. It's not)
1 cup boiling  water



Cover olives with water in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Drain. Repeat.
Cook tomatoes and garlic in oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
Add spices and mix well. Put chicken into sauce and turn it once so it's lightly coated.
Cook for 30 minutes over low heat, partially covered.
Add lemon, juice, olives and boiling water.
Cook over lowest heat, covered, for another 45-60 minutes.


Serves 4-6


And if at first you don't succeed - try, try again.  A very Jewish philosophy. Check the Talmud.







4 comments:

  1. the positive side of ahm k'shei oref.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I know I should probably know that but...
    What made it finally work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boiling the olives to remove the saltiness and using the pickled lemon.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE how you have an idea from our life to the Torha time each and every week!
      My family like that recipe but not all of them....
      And since we are now 3 veg the other 2 have to suffer :)

      Delete