It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Friday, May 24, 2013

Keep it short

Have you noticed how some prayers tend to go on and on, including everything and anything in the list of requests or praises? Not that I oppose to praising G-d. But I suspect He sometimes gets a little tired. You know how, when you talk on the phone with someone who goes on and on, who insists on going into every minute detail of the story they are telling, you sometimes roll your eyes and wish with all your heart that she (it is usually a 'she') will run out of words? When anyone from my husband's family calls to wish me a Happy Birthday, or even to talk about the weather, the call usually takes forever. My contribution is usually about 30 seconds long, mainly consisting of "thanks, oh same to you, yes, thank you, nice of you to say" and such. The other person starts blessing me (which is very nice) And. Does. Not. Stop. They cover all events, real or imaginary, past, present and future and include three or four wishes for each.  You might think I am an ingrate (which is also true but besides the point) but try to listen to 5 or 10 minutes of consistent good wishes (when you feel obligated to respond to each and you quickly run out of variations on 'thank you') and you'll see what I mean.

So it seems to me G-d just might be getting a little tired of the long winded prayers. But, you say, what about everything we want to say? We must praise Him in all His glory. And, when asking for things, as long as we have His attention, shouldn't we also mention everything that needs fixing? And, anyway, these prayers have been around for millenniums, what do you want us to use?

Let's see what Moshe, the greatest leader we ever had, the great teacher, the most modest person, the one who was on a 'one-on-one' relationship with G-d, had to say when he wanted something:

Realizing that G-d is very busy (running the world and all) and a bit short tempered (emphasis on 'short') right now, Moshe used what is probably the shortest prayer in history. 6 words. Why so short? I have encountered occasions in my life when I was in great distress. And I have noticed that my prayers on these occasions tended to be super short. Why? Maybe I was afraid to lose G-d's attention if I start to go on and on about everything else that I might ask for. Maybe when we are in pain (physical or emotional) we acquire 'tunnel vision' and get to the point much faster.

So by all means, on an every day basis, go on and on about Beit Hamikdash and parnassa and Grandma's arthritis. But when calling on an urgent matter, keep it short and to the point. G-d, as I said, is very busy. Help Him to help you.

BTW, what did Moshe ask for?  For G-d to heal Miriam. My friend Mara is in need of healing. I have been praying for her every day. I keep it short because it does not require many words to express this sentiment. She seems to be doing well, thank G-d, but meanwhile, she was told to eat a lot of fish. W-e-l-l. For this I won't even bother G-d. I can do that one myself (using my G-d given talents, of course.)

This recipe is a variation on a dish my friend Liora brought over one Shavu'ot. It was an immediate hit. It is actually very popular in Israel and has about 5 million versions, all yummy.


(Oh, and it has a weird name)

Kh'raimeh (Fish in spicy sauce)


2 heaping Tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup boiling water
1 tsp each: hot paprika, cumin, coriander, granulated garlic.
1/2 tsp salt
1 medium onion, chopped
4 Tbs vegetable oil
1 whole hot pepper of your choice, fresh
3-4 garlic cloves
6-8 fillets of firm white fleshed fish (tilapia, cod, hake, haddock, orange roughy, etc.)
1/2 cup water


Mix together the ingredients from the first four lines above.
In a wide, deep pan saute the onion in the oil until golden. Add hot pepper, garlic and the spice mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Add fish (making sure it is in one layer; hence the wide deep pan) and second 1/2 cup of water. Return to a boil.
Cover partially and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes until fish is ready (flakes when cut with fork.)

Note: the number of fish fillets is actually quite flexible. Whatever fits into the pan, as long as it is in one layer and covered by the sauce.




Pray. All the time. And don't think it must always be the whole, long, sometimes boring, traditional prayers. G-d is just as happy with short prayers. Just make sure that, no matter the length, it comes from a true heart. 

Refuah Sh'lema to Mara and all who need healing.







No comments:

Post a Comment