It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Thursday, October 17, 2013

Tent openings

This week's parasha opens with Avraham sitting at the opening of the tent. Now, this is a misleading expression, since the Midrash tells us that Avraham's tent had no less than four openings, one on each direction, so that whatever direction a traveler arrived from, they will encounter an open door and be welcomed with open arms. So which one was he sitting at?

Hachnassat Orchim is something we all aspire to do well. My friend Debbie is an excellent hostess who is always worried that she had somehow failed her guests. I don't know why; going to her house is like coming home. The food is yummy, the conversation interesting, everyone is made to feel welcome and comfortable. You never really want to leave.

My sister in law Dorita never worries (about anything). She simply sails calmly through hostessing, offering anything from drinks to blankets to extra candy. I really have no idea why my kids like to go there so much.

My friend Aidella is like superwoman when it comes to hosting. How can a woman with three little girls cook for and host so many people all the time? And do it so well. When she invited us to her succah, my girls responded with "Ooh, yes. The food is going to be yummy and it's always so much fun there and the baby is so cute." You'll note the order of priorities.

So we went (as if there was any question about it.) The succah was indeed huge and had two openings. Not quite "Avraham's tent" but close enough. As predicted, the baby was adorable, the other two kids wild with excitement over my youngest coming to visit them (natural reaction to her presence), there was much fun to be had and the food...... OMG. What is it about women from orthodox background? They all cook so well. And Aidella does it with so much aplomb. She cooked for all three days of the first round of Succot, like everyone else, but she cooked for large groups of guests. At every meal. And it was all unbelievably yummy. And how in the world does she find time, energy and imagination to prepare so many different types of dishes?

Me, I'm the fiend of hostesses. Hubby and the girls live in constant fear lest I will take it into my head to have someone over. I don't know why. After all, the three of them do nothing but sleep late, stay in front of their respective computers and show up after the guests are already sitting at the table. They don't help serve, or clear, or wash dishes. What's to complain about? They claim I turn into a demon before the guests are due. I do not. I only scream because no one pays any attention to my demands. I freak out because the minute I got everything the way it should be, someone always shows up and wants to move something. Really, you don't think I am being unreasonable, do you?


We had a great time at Aidella and Mendy's succah. It's not about the food (yummy) or the Torah talks (inspiring) or the conversation (fun) or even the kids (adorable). It's all about the welcome. The openings that call the guests in and make them feel like family. Avraham got that down pat. So do his descendants. 

I was ordered by my teenage masters to obtain the recipes for all the dishes we had that night. I did not feel comfortable enough to ask for every recipe so I started with the following and plan to steal more later (I am also a fiend as a guest.)


Aidella's super yummy salad with no name


In a large bowl, mix:


1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
1/2  head green cabbage, shredded
3-4 scallions, thinly sliced

In a small bowl, mix:

4 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

 Add dressing to salad and toss well.

Just before serving mix in:

8 Tbs slivered almonds, toasted
8 Tbs sesame seeds, toasted
1/3-1/2 cup chow mein noodles

6-8 servings




When the three visitors appeared, Avraham was probably very happy to have them over. Then he heard what they had to say and probably became even happier. A lot of trouble and heartache followed. I suppose some guests are better than others. Maybe he should have offered them this salad instead of the meat and butter....







1 comment:

  1. A great person once told me that all guests bring joy, some by coming, others by leaving.
    You and your family, are the first kind, in case you were wondering.
    And we really missed you this succos.

    ReplyDelete