It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sister, sister

Anyone noticed the abundance of action-taking women in this week's parasha? It starts with the midwives, continues with Yocheved, goes on to Miriam, then to Pharaoh's daughter, back to Miriam and Yocheved and finally to Moshe's wife. Not to belittle Moshe's importance, but seriously, where would he be without these women? At the bottom of the Nile, that's where. Without the well coordinated conspiracy of the women of Shemot, we might very well still be in Egypt (not the best place for a Jew to be. Then or now).


The most active, innovative, brave and persistent of these women is Miriam, Moshe's sister. It's a funny thing about sisters. They can be the plague of your life, the bane of your existence, the thorn in your side. I am speaking from experience, here. Being an older sister, I know for a fact that I have been all of these things to my siblings. It's part of my charm.


But sisters can also be your salvation (see Miriam and Moshe). They can be your safe harbor when you're drifting helplessly on a dangerous river (ditto) and they can be the ones to come up with a brilliant plan that will land you in the palace (and after that, you're on your own, buster. And you'd better come back later and take us out of Egypt or I'm telling Mom).



So. Sisters. I have one. You have one. Everyone has one. Mine is younger than me (do not get me started) and has been a terrible annoyance when we were growing up. Still, after years and years of devoted pseudo-parenting, I am beginning to see some results. Who else knows exactly what I am talking about when I complain about our mom's meshuggas? Who else knows the difference between simple kvetching and having a legitimate cause for complaint? Who else will dare tell me the truth to my face (and then duck for cover)? Lately she is even offering sage advice, tailored to my specific personality. Who else could do that but the one who has made me her main study subject from the day my parents forced her on me? (the law suit against them is still pending on that one).



In short, she's my sister and she is awesome (and I do not dare say anything negative about her for fear of retribution. No one can inflict pain on you like your sister, believe me). 



 There's a sweet little story in the Talmud that credits the Jewish women with the Jews' salvation in Egypt.(http://www.torah.org/learning/yomtov/pesach/5761/vol7no01.html). An important part in the story is played by fish stew. I suppose part of the misery of Egypt was the necessity of eating fish stew. Eww. But G-d saved us form that bad place and we can now, (Baruch Hashem) eat proper soups with nary a fish in sight.



So here is a recipe my sister shared quite a few years ago. It's wonderful. Especially now that winter has finally got its act together.



To my sister: You're still a royal pain but I love you anyway. Thanks for being a part of my life.







Turkey neck soup


I know. It sounds bad. Trust me when I tell you that turkeys' necks are some of the most succulent parts of the turkey. Only, it's not easy to find them. Ask your butcher for help.
You'll need:

1 large turkey neck, chopped into 4-5 pieces
1 can of chickpeas
2  large yams, peeled and quartered
2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 medium zucchini (see if you can get the light skinned ones, they absorb the flavors better) halved length-wise
1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
1 cup pumpkin or butternut squash cubes (optional)
2 Tbs tomato paste
1/4 tsp each: turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika
Salt, to taste


Put the turkey necks in a large pot. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil.  As foam forms, skim it off. Drain and return to pot. 

Add all the other ingredients. Cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to low.

Simmer for an hour (or more, if you want to intensify the flavors).
When serving, be sure to ladle from the bottom of the pot so each serving will have some of everything. The turkey necks are a bit messy to eat (you may end up using your fingers. Clearly this is not soup "for company") but are very much worth the trouble.












2 comments:

  1. A sister may be a pain in the neck, but she will stick her neck out for you, too. Hence the neck soup. Love it. And it sounds delicious. We have used the turkey bones to make soup on the shabbos after Thanksgiving for years. Your version sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/12/2012

    Was just coming here to post the same thought, debbie :)
    Grandma liked chicken feet in her soup.
    Great post, Osnat!

    ReplyDelete