It's not as if you can't cook. It's just that you'd like to pull a meal together. Maybe a Shabbat meal with a little more "oomph" than usual. Maybe a holiday meal where the menu reflects a theme or a Jewish value. Or maybe just an everyday meal that not only uses up the little bits and pieces in the fridge, freezer and pantry but also has a funny or thought provoking story behind it.
Sounds familiar? You've come to the right place. I don't promise mind boggling recipes. I do promise some ramblings of a scatter brained busy mom, trying to serve pleasing meals to a highly particular family and some very picky guests.

Welcome to my kitchen. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of tea and let's talk about the menu for the next meal.







Friday, January 6, 2012

Yam Yam

I complained before about my husband's habit of buying perishables in bulk. However, this post is not about him (Just don't tell him that. The fragile male ego will never survive the thought that something is not about 'him').

Last week Shoprite had a sale on yams. You know these sales, a box of yams for a very good price (Albeit, says hubby, not as good as where he shops. I told you they can't take not being the center of attention). Yams are very healthy and, growing underground, they fit into my "Eating with the seasons" philosophy (more about that some other time). So I got a  box.

And you can guess the rest. I never even opened the blasted thing. Last night I just about had it. It's a large box, it's heavy and it generates guilt. And I do not need more things in my life that generate guilt, thank you very much. I have a husband, 2 teenage girls, a Jewish mother and a younger sister. I've got guilt.

To make matters worse, I have also bought (and promptly forgot about until I have unearthed it last night) some lovely Israeli couscous. You see I was at the kosher store a couple of weeks ago and they had this colorful couscous and I remembered that my little one does not eat any other type of pasta, so I got some. So I had the yams, I had the couscous and I had the guilt.


And here is what I did:



Yammy Israeli couscous



4 Tbs canola or vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 1/2 cups yams (about 2 large) cut into 3/4 inch cubes
8.8 oz (1 and 3/4 cups) colored (or regular) Israeli couscous
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 1/2 cups boiling water










Saute the onion in the oil until slightly browned. 
Add yams. Cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes, stirring often.
Cover pot, reduce heat to very low and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until yams are a little tender (not fully cooked, just not totally raw).
Add couscous and spices. Stir.
Add boiling water. Stir. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed.


Makes about 6 or 7 cups.





As long as I was by the stove, I tossed together this little gem:



Chickpeas in pizza sauce

(because kids will eat anything if you call it pizza)




2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Italian seasoning
25 oz tomatoes, whole, from a can, with the liquid they were in (mine were in thick sauce, almost puree)
1 tsp kosher salt
3 cups cooked (or from a can) chickpeas



Chop the tomatoes.
Over low heat, saute garlic, pepper and Italian seasonings in oil for a minute, stirring. 
Add tomatoes and salt and bring to a boil.
Add chickpeas and cook uncovered over medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes. There is no "ready" point, really. The liquid will reduce (hence the 'uncovered' part) and the whole thing will look slightly thicker than when you started it. It might thicken a little more after it cools. Just stir it. 
You can, of course carry the 'pizza' scam further and serve it with some cheese on top.


This makes about 6 servings (I served it with the couscous as a main vegetarian dish).





Now what will I do for guilt? No rest for the wicked.



Shabbat Shalom,

Osnat

















2 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how good this tastes! Osnat, you are slowly but surely enticing me back to my stove. In the old days I would make a tomato- based soup, cube some cheese and throw in croutons and call it pizza soup. Now I can up the ante with a gourmet version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and the yam will make the beloved Daughter delighted!

      Delete